Officer James W. Mitchell
#41942 Pilot Officer James William Mitchell was the son of Charles Joseph and Anne Mary Mitchell and attended St. Andrew's College, Aurora from 1931 to 1932.
He served in 242 Squadron which was an all-Canadian unit in the Royal Air Force. James was killed on 24 May 1940 at the age of 24 while flying his Mk 1 Hurricane aircraft on a Patrol from Manston, England to Dunkirk, France. His aircraft collided with fellow squadron member P/O Robert Hillís Hurricane and crashed off the beach at Nieuport, France.
He is remembered on the Runnymede Memorial, Surrey, United Kingdom (Grave Reference: Panel 9.) This Memorial overlooks the River Thames on Cooper's Hill at Englefield Green between Windsor and Egham on the A308, 4 miles from Windsor. The Air Forces Memorial at Runnymede commemorates by name over 20,000 airmen who were lost in the Second World War during operations from bases in the United Kingdom and North and Western Europe, and who have no known graves. They came from all parts of the Commonwealth and some were from countries in continental Europe which had been over-run but whose airmen continued to fight in the ranks of the Royal Air Force. The memorial, designed by Sir Edward Maufe, is in the form of a cloister with the names of the dead, grouped by year, inscribed on the Hadene stone reveals and mullions of the narrow windows. On the cloister ceilings are emblazoned the arms of the Commonwealth countries. The cloisters have curved wings, terminating in two look-outs, one facing towards Windsor Castle and the other towards Heathrow Airport. The structure is in Portland stone with roofs of Westmorland green slate.
Initially he was presumed dead as no body was recovered from the scene however his death was confirmed when his body washed up on the beach, was recovered and interred at the cemetery in Granie Synthe near Dunkirk.