General C.J. Laurin, OBE, OStJ, CD
Brigadier General Cyrille J. Laurin attended St. Andrew's College from 1922 to 1927.
He joined the Canadian Army in March 1941 and served with the Canadian Grenadier Guards and in numerous staff appointments. After World War II, he was appointed Deputy Adjutant General at National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa with the rank of Brigadier.
In 1946, he rejoined his former employer, Maclean Hunter Ltd, in Toronto. A past Vice President and Director, he headed the Consumer Magazine Division for many years, and served from 1964 until his retirement in 1968 as Director, Financial Post Division.
Always devoted to public service, he was Past Chancellor, Priory of Canada, St. John Ambulance; Past Chairman Metro Toronto Planning Board; Past President Canadian Club of Toronto; Past Commissioner, Metric Commission of Canada. He was also a founding member and first President of the Bayview Golf and Country Club in Thornhill.
"This officer proceeded overseas as Staff Captain, 8 Canadian Infantry Brigade in 1941. In May 1942 he was promoted Brigade Major, "E" Group, Canadian Reinforcement Units. After holding various other General Staff appointments he was appointed General Staff Officer Grade 1 (Staff Duties), First Canadian Army, the appointment he now holds. Very onerous and responsible tasks in connection with organization and equipment of First Canadian Army have been undertaken by him with ability, energy and devotion to duty of a high order. The results of his work in this respect are of great importance to future operations."
Awarded as per London Gazette 4 April 1946