Martin L. Harter
Captain Martin Lee Harter was born to Robert and Gertrude Harter in Cleveland, Ohio on November 25, 1919. He would attend St. Andrew’s College for only one year, 1935 to 1936, and played basketball and ran track.
After leaving SAC he attended the United States Military Academy at West Point, graduating in 1943. He was sent to Laughlin Field in Texas and later Kellogg Field in Michigan for flight training. He completed his training in January 1944 and proceeded to Europe with the 584th Bombardment squadron (medium) as a part of the 394th Bomb Group flying the Martin B-26G Marauder.
On February 19, 1945 his squadron was tasked with destroying the Railroad Bridge over the Rhine at Neuweid. While en route to the target his Marauder suffered a direct hit to the port engine by anti-aircraft fire over Kyllburg and exploded in mid-air shortly thereafter. Only the co-pilot would ultimately survive the crash and he later stated he last saw Captain Harter at the controls of his aircraft telling him to bail out. His awards include the Air Medal with 8 Oak Leaf Clusters and the Purple Heart. Captain Martin Harter was a husband to Eleanor and brother of Robert ’35.
In August 1947 his father, Robert, wrote the school: