Hugh T. Carson, MC
Captain Hugh Thomas Carson attended St. Andrew's College from 1926 to 1928.
served with the 4th Canadian Armoured Regiment, Princess Louise Dragoon
Guards. The battalion was formed from personnel from 1st Canadian Infantry
Division in the United Kingdom together with reinforcements from Canada
in July 1941. On 08 June 1942, it was redesignated as 4th Reconnaissance
Regiment (4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards). "A" Squadron landed in Sicily
on 13 July 1943 as a part of 1st Canadian Infantry Division and it was
joined by the rest of the Regiment on 27 August 1943.
"During the night of 21-22 July 1943 at 2130 hours, 2 Canadian Infantry Brigade launched an attack against the strongly held town of Leonforte. Lieutenant Carson was ordered to go forward and maintain touch with the situation in the town which had developed into confused street fighting. Lieutenant Carson carried out his tasks continuously under heavy fire from automatics and snipers. The information, which he brought back at great personal risk, was of the utmost value as all other channels of communications had failed."