Lieutenant Maurice E. Malone
SAC 1907-1913

Lt Maurice Edward MaloneSt. Andrew College's "Malone Field"  is named in memory of Lieutenant Maurice Edward Malone, son of E. T. and Amy Malone of Toronto. He was born in Toronto on April 2, 1896 and attended Huron St Public School followed by St. Andrew's College from 1907 to 1913. Malone's record at St. Andrew's College, both as a student and as an athlete, was an unusually outstanding one. He won all his First Team Colours, and was repeating the performance at university when he left at the call of duty. 

He then studied at University College (University of Toronto) where he earned his hockey colours, was a member of Beta Theta Pi, and was a Colour Sergeant during his six months in the Canadian Officer Training Corps. He had already served three months in the reserves as a Lieutenant with the 48th Highlanders when, in June 1915 he was appointed to the 58th Battalion at Niagara, and in August went overseas with a draft from that unit. He joined the 15th Battalion (48th Highlanders) of the Central Ontario Regiment in France in November and served with it through the winter and spring in the area south of Ypres and in the Salient.

When the battle of Sanctuary Wood began on June 2nd, his platoon was back in billets for a rest. They were immediately called up and after marching several miles through the night, advanced in the counter-attack at Observatory Ridge on the morning of the 3rd. Just as they reached the farthest point of the advance, and when he was looking for means to get through a thick hedge, he was struck. He was killed near Zillbeke, Belgium on June 3rd, 1916 when only 21 years of age. He is buried in the Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium (Grave Reference: VI.A.12.), near his school friend and fellow Highlander, Richard A. Brown.

Maurice Malone's evidence in school, university and military life of persistence, steadfastness, courage, loyalty and enthusiasm makes it most suitable that his name should be attached to the main playing field of the school, where daily practices and many heroic struggles in big matches engage the activities of the boys.

  • Attestation Papers (National Archives) Front - Back
  • Canadian Virtual War Memorial Page for Maurice Malone. This page also includes a link to his commemoration on Page 131 of the First World War Book of Remembrance
  • The 15th Battalion War Diary entry describing the engagement in which Malone died.
Letters home from Maurice "Mike" Malone

November 13, 1915:

"It was a long journey and took us most of the day to complete it........About six o'clock we arrived at rail-head. There we were met by an old familiar London bus. We climbed in and were taken to Brigade Headquarters. On our way we could see the German flare lights going up on three sides of us and an occasional boom in the distance.

Yesterday Pete Campbell called around and took him up to the trenches. It is quite a long way up and we ploughed through all kinds of mud and wet ..... Just as we were going into the trenches our guns started - first it scared the life out of you, but then you get to be able to distinguish the sound, and the boom of your own guns is really very pleasant. Then the Germans started in reply and we could hear their old coal boxes were still whistling ..... You can tell by the sound of them whether they are coming your way or not ...... We got back all right, only darn tired."

Later, he was to comment:
"We have just come in from the trenches and are in billets for a couple of days to give us a rest and let our German bloodlust arise again. Between you and me and the censor, I need a bath tres beaucoup vite.... I have been in France for two weeks now, and I've only had my boots off, nothin' else, so help me ....I had a working party digging dugouts the other day and the Germans started to shell us.....I was crossing a field and a friend of mine (in the German trenches) started to snipe me. He had two cracks at me before I realized what he wanted, then you should have seen me dig my nose into the mud. That poor old Hun could not see me for the splash I made into a nice muddy trench. i'm willing to forego my chance at a VC for a return ticket to Canada."
On his 21st birthday, April 2, 1916, he wrote to his parents:
"We were on the move the other day, sun shining, pipes playing - everyone was feeling happy. The spirit of the men is even better now than ever. Winter seems to have gone with all its discomforts, and the Lord forbid that I should ever spend another winter like the last one. It is pretty tough at times, but it looks as if there are better days ahead... We are now having the time of our young lives. We are at the big war... I am afraid that we will have to train Fritz; he as been having things his own way too much... I guess this is the strangest birthday I have ever had, and if I am not a man now after about 7 months of this life, I do not think I ever will be. I sincerely hope that my next birthday will be spent at home."
But two months later, on the third of June, Mike Malone was killed, shot through the heart by an enemy bullet. His Commanding Officer wrote:
"The Germans had effected a break in the line. We who were in reserve were suddenly called up, and after a long night march, made an advance in broad daylight under heavy shell and machine gun fire, which enabled us to take up a position which secured most of the lost ground and denied the enemy the advantages he had so nearly secured. It was at the farthest point of our advance, about half-past seven in the morning, that 'Mike' was struck down. He had been behaving most gallantly. Except for the manner in which he brought up his men to reinforce my line we should not have been able to advance as we did."
Excerpts from Not an Ordinary Place by William Scoular.

This memorial marker is located in
St. James Cemetery,
on Parliament Street in Toronto, just before Bloor Street