and Awards Received
A Brief History of the Corps at Ninety
On Saturday May 6, 1995, the #142 St. Andrew's College Highland Cadet Corps marked an important milestone in its long and storied history - a 90th consecutive Annual Inspection.
The first inspection was held on May 14, 1906 under the command of Captain Cooper, a teacher at the school. The senior student rank was held by First Lieutenant C. Vincent Massey, who would later distinguish himself as Canada's first native-born Governor General. In its first year the total strength of the Corps was 68, which was the number of available uniforms.
In essays written prior to his 1984 retirement, Lloyd MacPherson made frequent mention of attendance by the Corps at important events. For example, the Corps formed a Guard of Honour for H.R.H. The Duke of Connaught, during a Royal visit at Prize Day in 1914.
At Christmas 1915, the first set of six pipes was presented by Colonel Thomas Cantley of Nova Scotia, whose son and grandson would attend the School. By 1921 the uniform would start an evolution towards that worn today, but during periods of war the cadets wore the same uniform as the regular army. When the current buildings were under construction, in the spring of 1926, the Corps travelled by train from Toronto, formed up at the C.N.R. station and paraded to the campus for the very first time.
The depression years were difficult ones for the College, and it is well known that Sir Joseph Flavelle and the Board of Governors were financially responsible for keeping the School viable. Due to the small number of students in 1934, the pipe and drum band was temporarily absorbed into the ranks. That year also marked the first celebration of St. Andrew's Day at SAC including the ancient custom of piping the Haggis.
In 1941 Mr and Mrs Gordon Hewett gave a jaguar skin to be worn by the bass drummer. The jaguar was shot by Col. Theodore Roosevelt, the former President of the United States.
During the war years there again was a more direct connection between the Cadet Corps and active military units. In 1945, the Cadet Commanding Officer and Head Prefect was Garrison Rapmund. Following university, Gary Rapmund went on to a distinguished career in the United States medical Corps, retiring with the rank of Major General. In May 1995, Dr. Rapmund returned to the SAC campus and performed the duties of Reviewing Officer, fifty years after he himself commanded the cadets.
Awarded to St. Andrew's College in:
1944, 1945, 1947, 1954, 1955, 1961, 1964, 1967, 1973, 1980, 1981, 1983
Earl Grey Challenge Trophy
Awarded to St. Andrew's College in 1960-1961.