A Timeline For 142 Army Cadet Corps

First Cadet Officers 1905-1906 - Click for larger picture1905 - Cadet Corps founded. "....some 70 students signing up. The services of a sergeant instructor from Stanley Barracks was obtained and the government gave rifles and side-arms. The company was equipped with the Highland uniforms as worn by the 48th Highlanders, although for a time its numbers were limited by the uniforms available." [NAOP p266]  Instructors included Capt Grant Cooper (a school teacher), Sergeant A. R. Hatt of the Gordon Highlanders and Sergeant James McMahon who was the Drill and Athletic Instructor.

1906 - "The Ross rifle, one of a number of prizes competed for by the members of the Corps, was presented by the St. George's Chapter of the Daughters of the Empire and was given to the best shot in the Corps." [NAOP pp.266-7]  The first inspection was held on May 14, 1908 under the command of Captain Cooper, a teacher at the school. The senior student rank was held by First Lieutenant C.Vincent Massey, who would later distinguish himself as Canada's first native-born Governor General. Four days later, the Corps parades with the 48th Highlanders to St. Andrew's Church - the first Church Parade.

1907 - Captain Taylor served as Chief Instructor for one year.

1908 - Sergeant Glover of the Royal Canadian Regiment serves as Chief Instructor until 1910.

1910 - Lord Strathcona, the Honorary President of the College, provides a gift to the College to buy more uniforms.

1912 - Sergeant Sinclair serves as Chief Instructor until 1914.

1914 - The Corps formed a Guard of honour for H.R.H. The Duke of Connaught, during a Royal visit on Prize Day in 1914.

1914-1918 - "Their normal uniform consisting of the traditional kilt, sporran, socks and gaiters was replaced during wartime with khaki tunics and Sam Brown belts with badges of rank as worn by the regular army." [NAOP p.267]

1915 Pipe Band - Click for a larger picture1915 - "A Band of ten bugles and five kettle-drums was formed in 1915. Under the direction of Pipe-Major Fraser of the 48th Highlanders the boys marched to martial Scottish airs. The Corps had the honour of escorting the 92nd Highlanders, in whose ranks at least eight Old Boys were serving, to Union Station when they left for service overseas". [NAOP p.267]

At Christmas 1915, the first set of six pipes was presented by Colonel Thomas Cantley of Nova Scotia, whose son and grandson would attend the School and be pipers in the band. The Pipes and Drums are founded under the direction of renowned 48th Highlanders Pipe Major James Fraser. 1919 Cadet CorpsChief Instructor of the Corps is Lt John Slatter of the 48th Highlanders.

1916 - Corps conducted by Mr Williams and Sergeant Instructor Smith for one year.

1917 - "By 1917 the number of Corps members had reached 90, including some 20 bandsman and 5 pipers..." [NAOP p.267]

1918 - May 10th - Lieutenant Gordon Fraser Ross was killed at Ostend. November 11th Armistice with Germany goes into effect.

Cadet Band 1919 - Click on it for a larger picture1919 - "On May 11th, 1919, a tablet was dedicated in St. Paul's to the memory of Lieutenant Gordon Ross, who was present at Zeebruge, and who fell so gallantly at Ostend" [St. Andrew's College Review, Memorial Number, June 1919, p.95]

1920 - ".....and by the autumn of 1920 over 150 boys had been enrolled in the Corps, bringing its strength from two to four platoons." [NAOP p.267] Sergeant Major Figg becomes the Chief Instructor until 1922.

1921 - The cadet uniform is now evolving toward its final form. "In March 1921 the Corps was inspected by [Governor General] the Duke of Devonshire and Sir Henry Burstell, the Inspector-General of the cadet corps in the Dominion, who told the Headmaster that he was greatly impressed by the magnificent physique of the boys, their steadiness on parade and their whole turn-out." [NAOP p.267]

Capt Charles Kilmer, DSONovember 30th - "On St. Andrew's Day, 1921, the Governor General Lord Byng of Vimy came to unveil a memorial tablet given by Mrs. George H. Kilmer, whose son, Captain Charles Kilmer, had had to have his leg amputated as a result of his war wounds. After inspecting the Cadet Corps, Lord Byng went to the assembly hall where there was a short service......Dr. Macdonald spoke of the war services rendered by Andreans... Once again it was Percy Robinson who read the roll of the dead. Lord Byng then unveiled the tablet, which was later  to be removed to Aurora, To the glory of God and in honoured memory of the ninety-nine Andreans whose names appear thereon, I now unveil this tablet presented to St. Andrew's College as a mother's thank-offering......" The highland lament, The Flowers of the Forest, was played on the pipes by Cadet Lieutenant Dayment and Sergeant Hunter. Again solemn ritual was brought to a close by the Last Post....The first man, Macdonald proudly stated, who led a daylight raid in No Man's Land was a St. Andrew's Old Boy. He was Captain Kilmer. The first company that crossed the Rhine after the Armistice was commanded by a St. Andrew's boy. A the first gas attack at Ypres a St. Andrew's boy was in charge of the Winnipeg Rifles Company that held the exposed flank till help came up and so saved Calais and the Channel ports. [NAOP pp.119-120]

1926 - Sergeant Major F. Millican becomes Chief Instructor serving until 1931. "In the spring of 1926 the Corps came up by train for their first visit to the site of the new school at Aurora, forming up at the C.N.R. station and marching to the new grounds. A miniature rifle range had been fitted up at the gymnasium." [NAOP p.267]

1930 - "...[the Corps] marched through Aurora to the cenotaph situated one mile south of the town." [NAOP p.267]  "A Challenge Cup has been presented to the Cadet Corps by G. Eric Ellsworth for Annual Competition. The object of the Competition is to distinguish or single out the Platoon which has shown the most interest in the work of the Cadet Corps, steadiness and efficiency of drill movements and rifle exercises during the school year. The efficiency shown by the Officers and NCO's in handling and teaching their Platoons will also count." [Notes of F,Millican, Chief Instructor, April 1930, in cadet files]

1931 - Captain C. A .B. Young becomes Chief Instructor serving until 1933.

 

1933 - "The growth in the disarmament movement characteristic of the early thirties discouraged membership in the Corps whose numbers shrank by 1933 to two small platoons." [NAOP p.267]

1934 - Sergeant-Major Hugget becomes the Chief Instructor serving until 1938. Due to the small number of students in the Corps, the Pipes and Drums are temporarily absorbed into the ranks. Nonetheless, the pipers remain active and on St. Andrew's Day the tradition of piping in the haggis is begun.

1935 - The pipe band returns to action, and the Annual Inspection is held in the fall term, on October 23rd, a tradition that continued until 1941.

1936 - Mr. Graham Campbell presents an ornate Scottish dirk to be worn by the Corps Captain each year. Some years later, the dirk disappears.

1937 - The annual Church Parade forms up at Rosedale Community Grounds and proceeds along Bloor Street to St. Paul's Church in time for the morning service, a format followed past the turn of the next century.

1938 - Lieutenant Geoffrey O'Brian becomes Chief Instructor serving until 1941. "Mr. Wright has been good enough to offer for competition in the Cadet Corps, a Cup to the "best cadet" on parade at Inspection. In choosing the best cadet, regard will be had to the cadet's efficiency in arms drill and marching, but his general attitude, his deportment and his general appearance will also be judged not only on Inspection Day but also at all times up to that date both when the cadet is on and off parade. In the nature of the case, officers, non-commissioned officers and members of the band will not be eligible." [Headmaster's note in cadet files]

1939 Senior Cadets - Click for larger picture1939 - "In the spring of 1939, together with other cadets corps, they had formed a guard of honour for the King and Queen as they walked from the Parliament Buildings to lunch at [University of Toronto's] Hart House." [NAOP p.168]

1940 - The war changes the tenor of the Corps and there is a greater connection to the active military units. Drill is carried out every morning and for the only time in its history Cadets are trained in the use of current weaponry, particularly the Bren guy and defensive chemical warfare. The ceremonial scarlets are stored in favour of khakis.

1943 Cadet Demonstration - Click for a larger image

1941 - Captain John L. (Jack) Wright served as the Chief Instructor for eight yeas until 1949. "By his enthusiasm Jack Wright...made the Corps into a more effective force, which played a significant part in School life in the Second World War." [NAOP p.267] Mr. and Mrs. Gordon Hewitt gave a jaguar skin to be worn by the bass drummer. The jaguar was shot in India by Col Theodore Roosevelt, the former President of the United States, who had presented it to Mrs. Hewitt's father. It was still being used at the 100th Anniversary in 2004/05. "The Corps provided the guard of honour for the Governor General, the Earl of Athlone, when on June 17 he come to the 42nd annual Prize Day." [NAOP p.170] The Corps joins a parade and lays a wreath to honour the 50th Anniversary of their affiliated unit, the 48th Highlanders of Canada.  

1946 Cadet Parade - Click for a larger picture

1943 - "...the cadets were asked to take part along with the 48th Highlanders for the Trooping of the Colour with the Governor General." [NAOP p.170] War training continues as the global conflict intensifies. Daily drill is maintained, and 25 cadets take Basic Training three times a week at the Newmarket Basic Training Centre.

1944 - The Corps is awarded the Strathcona Cup for General Efficiency of Private School Cadet Corps. 

1945 - As the war draws to a close, the Cadet Commanding Officer and Head prefect is Garrison Rapmund '45. Rapmund would go on to a distinguished military career in the United States medical Corps, retiring as a Major General. He would return 50 years later as the Reviewing Officer at the Annual Inspection. The Corps is awarded the Strathcona Cup for General Efficiency of Private School Cadet Corps.

1947 - The Corps returns to peace-time training and activities and maintains this attitude to the present day. It is again awarded the Strathcona Cup for General Efficiency of Private School Cadet Corps.

1940's Winter Exercise - Click for a larger picture1949 - Major J. Aubrey Holmes becomes what will eventually be  the longest serving Chief Instructor, ably filling the role for sixteen years until 1965.

1950 - The Cadet Commanding Officer is Cadet Major Frank Moores, who will go on to become Premier of Newfoundland.

1951 - Major Moores repeats as Cadet Commanding Officer. The pipe band, now numbering 20 pipers, adopts full dress, including feather bonnets. Marksmanship within the Corps is at its peak, with Cadets receiving training in firing Bren, Sten and lee Enfield rifles.

1954 - The Corps is awarded the Strathcona Cup for General Efficiency of Private School Cadet Corps.

1955 - The Corps is awarded the Strathcona Cup for General Efficiency of Private School Cadet Corps.

1959 - One hundred armed Cadets and the pipe band provide an Honour Guard for the Lieutenant Governor at the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto.

1960 - Torrential rains plague the May 13 Annual Inspection. Pumps are brought in to remove water from the Quad, and the ceremony proceeds on a sea of mud.

1961 - The Corps is awarded the Strathcona Cup for General Efficiency of Private School Cadet Corps and the Earl Grey Challenge Trophy for the Best Cadet Corps in Canada..

1964 - Under Pipe Major Andrew Know, a well trained piper, the Pipes & Drums achieves a new level of expertise with greater numbers and a larger repertoire (15 tunes) than ever before. At the Annual Church Parade, some spectators assume the band is that of the 48th Highlanders. The Corps is again  awarded the Strathcona Cup for General Efficiency of Private School Cadet Corps.

1965 - Major Robert W. Wilson becomes the Chief Instructor/Commanding Officer, serving until 1972.

1966 - Governor General Georges Vanier acts as the Inspecting Officer at the Annual Inspection.

1967 - The family of Harry B. Housser '03, one of the first boys at the School in 1899, donates the Corps Flag. Four generations of Houssers have enrolled in St. Andrew's over the years, including his son Brigadier General John G. Housser, MC '33 and the most recent being Cadet Lieutenant John Housser '03 (Flag Party Commander) and Richard '07. The Corps is again awarded the Strathcona Cup for General Efficiency of Private School Cadet Corps.

1968 - The Corps participates in the 48th Highlanders' annual Tattoo at Maple Leaf Gardens. One hundred cadets demonstrate rifle calisthenics and the Pipes & Drums perform both by themselves and with the 48th band.

1971 - The Annual Inspection Reviewing Officer was Donald Macdonald, Minister of Defence. However anti-war sentiments have run high within the Corps for three years as a result of reaction to the Vietnam War, and the Inspection is marred by an unknown individual blasting an anti-war song from a record player in a residence window just as the Minister begins his inspection rounds. Lloyd MacPherson, long-time Master and a fervent cadet supporter, sprints to the room and unceremoniously destroys the machine.  

1972 - Major Craig T. Kamcke becomes Commanding Officer serving until 1979.

1973 - The Corps is again awarded the Strathcona Cup for General Efficiency of Private School Cadet Corps.

1979 - Major A. Derek Inglis becomes Commanding Officer, serving until 1982. The military band participates in the filming of the movie The Kidnapping of the President with Hal Holbrook and Ava Gardner at Nathan Phillips Square. "...Paul Stanborough was awarded the Don Gaulthier Trophy as the best Cadet at Ipperwash Army Cadet Camp." [NAOP p.481]

1980 - The Corps is awarded the Strathcona Cup for General Efficiency of Private School Cadet Corps.

1981 - The Corps is awarded the Strathcona Cup for General Efficiency of Private School Cadet Corps.

1982 - Major Bert Jacques becomes Commanding Officer serving until 1984.

1983 - The Corps is awarded the Strathcona Cup for General Efficiency of Private School Cadet Corps.

1984 - Major Ian M. Wilkie becomes Commanding Officer serving until 1987.

1987 - Captain Alan B. Jackson serves as Commanding Officer for one year. Led by Cadet Lieutenant Colonel Matthew Townsend, the Corps formed the ceremonial guard of honour at the opening of the Ontario Legislature, the only cadet corps so honoured.

1988 - Lieutenant Reinhard Kranz serves as Commanding Officer for one year.

1989 - Lieutenant Brian T. Raaflaub serves as Commanding Officer for one year.

1990 - Major Geoffrey Smith, CD assumes command of the Corps and serves until his retirement as Assistant Headmaster in 1999.

1995 - Reviewing Officer for the Annual Inspection was Major General Dr. Garrison Rapmund (US Army Ret'd) who had been the Cadet Commanding Officer and Head Prefect in 1945.

1998 - World renowned solo piper and bandsman Mr Jim McGillivray joins the staff as a full time Director of Piping at St. Andrew's, with a view to developing a curriculum piping program and raising the level of the Pipes & Drums. The Reviewing Officer for the Annual Inspection is Captain John Stewart, CD, ADC, former Prefect and Cadet Commanding Officer in 1978.

Major John M. Stephens, CD1999 - At the Annual Inspection, Major John M. Stephens, CD succeeds Major Geoffrey Smith, CD as Commanding Officer/Director of Cadets. The college also hires Captain Brian McCue as Deputy Director of Cadets, Drumming Instructor and Assistant Housemaster of Flavelle House.  The Reviewing Officer for the Annual Inspection was Frank D. Moores who was Cadet Commanding officers in both 1950 and 1951 as well as Head prefect in 1951.

2000 - Pipes and Drums win Central Ontario Area Pipe and Drum Band Competition at CFB Borden. Reviewing Officer for the Annual Inspection was Lieutenant Colonel Ian A. Purdie, who was Cadet Commanding Officer in 1955.

 

2001 Pipes and Drums - Click for a larger picture2001 - Piping is incorporated into the Music Department as a credit course. The first Cadets-in-Concert is held to showcase the musical talent of our cadet corps and is judged a resounding success and added to the regular school calendar. The Reviewing Officer for the Annual Inspection is Mr. Richard Boxer '35. c/Sgt Charles Etienne Bergeron qualifies to compete at the National Cadet Air Rifle Competition in Nova Scotia where he places ??  A contingent of cadets participates in a special 48th Highlanders parade when the regiment receives the Freedom of the City for the new City of Toronto. Two cadets, Lance Corporals Jeff Hynds (later Cadet Adjutant) and Michael Carney, attend Cadet Basic Summer Camp Training at Canadian Forces Base Borden. Cadet Sergeant Merv Frame and Cadet Master Corporal Eric Davies work for the summer as pipers with the "78th Highlanders" at the Citadel in Halifax.

 

2002 - Major Brian McCue, CD succeeds Major John M. Stephens, CD as Commanding Officer/Director of Cadets. The Pipes and Drums win the Central Ontario Area Pipe and Drum Band Competition held at HMCS York in Toronto and advance to the Central Region Competition. A contingent of cadets participates in the 48th Change of Command Parade held at Moss Park Armoury in Toronto where LCol Ian Sargeant succeeds LCol George Turner. Reviewing Officer for the 97th Annual Inspection was Dr. Charles Malcolmson, who was Cadet Commanding Officer in 1952. c/Lt Mitch Myers qualifies to compete at the National Cadet Air Rifle Competition where he places ??

2003 - Completion of the Red, Silver and Gold Star and successful participation in the Pipes & Drums or Military Band between Grades 9 & 11 now qualifies for a full Grade 11 academic credit. The Corps bids farewell to its last Grade 13 cadets and this grade is phased out of the Ontario high school curriculum. The Pipes & Drums achieves new heights, recording a critically acclaimed CD and increasing its repertoire to 40 tunes. Cadet Pipe Major Andrew Douglas, the school's best piper ever, graduates and is recruited by four time world champion Simon Fraser University Pipe Band. Reviewing Officer for the 98th Annual Inspection was Anthony S. Fell Class '59.

2004 - Reviewing Officer for the Church Parade was Colonel Richard Read, CD, Honorary Colonel of our affiliated regiment, the 48th Highlanders of Canada. Reviewing Officer for the 99th Annual Inspection was Mr. John Vaughan, Cadet Commanding Officer in 1954. The inspection moves at the last minute to the Aurora Community Centre due to rain. It features combined Pipes & Drums and Military Band. Pipers. On June 6th, the Pipes & Drums and a large Honour Guard participate in a special parade and ceremony at Queen's Park to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of D-Day. Nick Leslie '06 and Matt Browning '06 are invited to join the National Youth Pipe Band of Scotland for its annual Glasgow Concert Hall performance in August.

2005 - 100th Anniversary of the CorpsOn May 4th, the Corps marches to downtown Aurora and receives the Freedom of the City from the Town of Aurora. Mayor Tim Jones reads the proclamation wearing a Gordon tartan kilt and his newly presented 142 cadet officer's tie.  

Sources:
NAOP - Not An Ordinary Place: A St. Andrew's Century, by William Scoular, 1998.