Temporary Captain G. T. Reid, DFC
SAC 1908-1909

George Thomas Reid was born on October 16, 1893 and attended St Andrew's College from 1908-1909. His home was in Toronto where he was a lumber dealer prior to the war. 

  • Commissioned Lieutenant in 109th Regiment, Canadian Militia, September 1915; 
  • Captain, 242nd Battalion (Forestry Corps), January 1916; 
  • Overseas November 1916; 
  • To France, January 1917. 
  • Attached to RFC as Observer on Probation, 14 October 1917. 
  • To No.1 School of Aerial Gunnery, 17 December 1917; 
  • To No.1 School of N and BD [Navigation and Bomb Dropping ?], 13 February 1918; 
  • Served with No.97 Squadron, 14 May 1918 to 11 January 1919 (to France, 29 July 1918).
  • Relinquished commission, 13 January 1919. 
Public Record Office Air 1/1650 has a letter dated 17 September 1918 from the Commanding Officer, No.97 Squadron to the Officer Commanding, No.83 Wing, Royal Air Force:
"I have the honour to bring to your notice the excellent work carried out by Lieutenant J.A. Stewart, Flying Officer, and Captain G. T. Reid, Flying Officer Observer, since this squadron arrived in this country [France].
They have always flown together and their work has been most consistent. They have now carried out 13 successful raids and in spite of adverse weather conditions at times they have never yet failed to reach their objective, which shows great determination.  Their bombing has been consistently good and they have excellent judgment as to when to bomb low and when to bomb at an average altitude.  Their bombing range has varied from 4,000 feet to 700 feet. They materially helped to demolish Folperweller Aerodrome on the 22nd August, obtaining several direct hits.
At Buhl on the 2nd September they bombed the aerodrome from 700 feet and started eight fires which were confirmed by other pilots. They also started a large fire at Metz Sablon on the 12th instant.
They have been very modest in their claims for although they have usually got close to their target, they have claimed few direct hits although the amount of damage caused must have been considerable. On several occasions they have made two trips a night.
On the last three raids, 14th, 15th, 16th of September, they have successfully bombed Kaiserlautern, Mainz and Frankfort. By careful study of their route and good use of their navigation instruments they have accomplished excellent times to Mainz and Frankfurt, namely 4 3/4 hours and 5 3/4 hours respectively.
I consider they have shown great courage, perseverance and determination in all their work.
The same file has the formal recommendation sent on 22 September 1918 from Headquarters, 8th
Brigade to Headquarters, Royal Air Force.  Some of the place names are spelled differently from the above letter (which itself cannot agree on the spelling of Frankfort/Frankfurt).
"For consistent good work, gallantry and skill as an Observer on night bomb raids, notably on the following occasions:
Night 22 August 1918 - Folperweiler Aerodrome - On the occasion of this raid Captain Reid was Lieutenant Stewart's Observer. In spite of a very hostile anti-aircraft barrage they came down to 700 feet over the objective and obtained several direct hits on the hangars and sheds on Folperweiler Aerodrome, causing material damage.
Night 1/2 September 1918 - Buhl Aerodrome - With Lieutenant Stewart as Pilot, Captain Reid came down to 700 feet over the objective and in the course of several runs up and down was successful in starting eight fires, thereby causing a considerable amount of damage.  The fires were seen and confirmed by other pilots.
Night 12 September 1918 - Metz Sablon - Captain Reid with Lieutenant Stewart as Pilot carried out a very successful raid on this objective, excellent shooting being made and a large fire, which could be seen from a considerable distance, being started.
In addition, he has taken part in the following raids:
            19 August 1918            - Metz Sablon
            20 August 1918            - Buhl Aerodrome
            21 August 1918            - Mohrange Aerodrome
            25 August 1918            - Boulay Aerodrome
            30 August 1918            - Boulay Aerodrome
            3 September 1918        - Boulay Aerodrome
            6 September 1918        - Lorquin Aerodrome
            14 September 1918      - Kaiserlautern
            15 September 1918      - Mainz
            16 September 1918      - Frankfort 

Captain Reid has always flown with Lieutenant J.A. Stewart, and their work together has been most consistent.
Captain Reid has carried out thirteen successful raids, and in spite of very adverse weather conditions on several occasions, has never yet failed to reach his objective.  His bombing has been consistently good, and he has shown throughout excellent judgement in deciding when it was advisable to bomb low and when at an average altitude.  His bombing range has varied from 4,000 to 700 feet.
On the last three raids undertaken, viz., 14th, 15th and 16th September, Captain Reid successfully bombed Kaiserlautern, Mainz and Frankfort.  By carefully studying the route and making the best use of his navigation instruments the raids to Mainz and Frankfort were carried out in the excellent time of 4 3/4 and 5 3/4 hours respectively.  On September 16th the wind was very strong and Captain Reid's machine was the only one 14 which started for the long objective which bombed its target and returned.
Captain Reid has throughout shown the greatest courage, perseverance and determination in all his work."

The same file has a list of sorties similar to those shown, but indicating that he was engaged in
two raids on 2 September 1918.

Distinguished Flying Cross

"A very competent and gallant observer in long-distance bombing raids, in thirteen of which he has been successfully engaged. Captain Reid displays great skill in selecting the correct altitude for unloading his bombs, and his determination is most marked in all his work."
DFC Citation London Gazette dated 2 November 1918